Other Things to do in Ventura
Ventura is a wonderful city which offers a variety of things to see and do, ranging from the natural to the historic. If you're visiting Ventura and looking for a fun activity to do before or after your food tour, consider the following:
-Downtown Ventura Farmers Market. Before your Ventura Tour, stop in at the Ventura Farmers Market at the Corner of Santa Clara & Palm Streets. The downtown market is open 8:30am - 12:00pm on Saturdays.
-Ojai Farmers Market. Check out the Ojai Farmers Market on Sundays from 9:00am-1:00pm. The market is located at 300 East Matilija Street in the heart of downtown Ojai.
- Ventura Promenade (Omer Rains Trail): A great way to take in a slice of Ventura's beaches and coastline. This path makes for a wonderful walk or bike ride and runs from the mouth of the Ventura River to the Pierpont neighborhood of Ventura. Along the way you'll pass C-Street and the Ventura Pier. (MAP)
- Ventura Botanical Gardens: Although still a work in progress, the vision is for the Ventura Botanical Gardens to become a world-class botanical garden that will showcase and preserve native plants. Already completed is the Demonstration Trail that begins behind City Hall and climbs gently for nearly a mile, providing a number of new viewpoints with spectacular vistas of the city, the sea, and the Channel Islands beyond. (MAP) (Directions to City Hall - park in rear upper lot)
- Arroyo Verde Park: A wonderful city park for taking in some of Ventura's beautiful hillsides, this park offers a variety of hiking/running trails. A popular park for cookouts and parties, this park also allows your dog to run around off-leash during select hours. On a clear day, some of the walking trails will offer amazing views of Ventura, the Pacific Ocean and the Channel Islands. (MAP)
- Ventura River Trail: A dedicated bicycle path which follows the old Southern Pacific Railroad right-of-way from Main Street to Foster Park. Bring this map from the City of Ventura along on your bike ride to learn about various points of interest along the way. (MAP)
- Historic Downtown Ventura Walking Tour: From the San Buenaventura Mission, which was founded in 1782, through to the Majestic Ventura Theater, this self-guided walking tour will expose you to some of Ventura's rich and diverse history. (MAP)
Points of Interest/Historic:
Ventura Post Office Murals: Titled "Agriculture and Industries of Ventura", these colorful murals decorate the downtown Ventura Post Office and were painted by Gordan K. Grant in 1938 as part of the Treasury Relief Art Project. Swing by for a look and mail your friends a postcard telling them what a great time you're having in Ventura! (MAP)
Museum of Ventura County: Located towards the end of Main Street in Downtown Ventura, this museum celebrates much of the art, history and culture which makes our area special. Check out their website for the latest exhibits. (Museum of Ventura County website) (MAP)
Ventura County Fair: Every summer the Ventura County Fair comes to the aptly named Ventura County Fairgrounds. At the fair you can enjoy everything from live music, to carnival rides, to animal husbandry competitions to some of the wildest fair foods you've ever tasted. Be sure to check the website for the dates of this year's fair. (Ventura County Fair Website)
- Mondos: A great place for the beginner surfer, Mondos offers a gentle wave with a sandy ocean bottom. (MAP)
- Surfer's Point/C-Street: There are several distinct breaks within this area opposite the Ventura fairgrounds. This is a good place for the intermediate to advanced surfer and there is almost always a wave to be found somewhere in here. (MAP)
- Rincon: A special place within the culture of surfing, this point break is renowned for its ability to focus NW swells into long, peeling walls of water. (MAP)
- Barrelhouse 101: Just around the corner from the Bella Maggiore Inn (on the corner of Thompson and California), this is a great place to grab a bite to eat and sample 101 beers on tap. Whether you want a pint or a tasting flight, this is a great place to expand your beer tasting horizons.
- Local Breweries: Ventura is home to a variety of craft breweries and beer tasting rooms. Here are a few suggestions for your own, self-guided beer tasting tour: Topa Topa Brewing Company, Poseidon Brewing Company, MadeWest Brewing Company, and Surf Brewery. Please don't drink and drive!